The Honourable H.A. "Bud" Olson, P. C., 1996-2000
Horace Andrew "Bud" Olson was born in Iddesleigh, Alberta on October 6, 1925. He took his schooling in Iddesleigh and Medicine Hat. Mr. Olson was a farmer, rancher and merchant.
On January 27, 1947 he married Marion Lucille McLachlan. They had four children: Sharon Lee, Andrea Lucille, Juanita Carol and Horace Andrew Jr. and ten grandchildren.
He was first elected to the House of Commons for Medicine Hat in 1957. He was then reelected in 1962, 1963, 1965 and 1968. He served as Minister of Agriculture, Canada from 1968-72. He was summoned to the Senate on April 5th, 1977. Minister of State for Economic Development and Chairman of the Cabinet Committee for the Economic Development of Canada from March, 1980 to 1982. Minister Responsible for the Northern Pipeline Agency from March, 1980 to June, 1984. Appointed Leader of the Government in the Senate from September, 1982 to June, 1984. Co-Chair, Canada-United States Inter-Parliamentary Association in 1993.
During his period of service as a Member of Parliament he served on various committees including: Privileges, Standing Rules and Orders; Legal and Constitutional Affairs; Chairman, National Finance; Energy and Natural Resources; Agriculture and Forestry; Banking Trade and Commerce.
Mr. Olson was awarded the Centennial Medal in 1967; Citation for Distinguished Citizenship, Medicine Hat College, 1968; Honourary Colonel, South Alberta Light Horse Regiment, 1970; Queen's Silver Jubilee Medal, 1977.
He was a member of the Lutheran Church.
He was installed as Alberta's 14th Lieutenant Governor on April 17th, 1996.
He received an Honourary Doctorate of Laws from the University of Alberta in November, 1996. Recreational interests included hunting and fishing. He had a special interest in ranching.
His term as Lieutenant Governor of Alberta was completed on February 10th, 2000.
Mr. Olson had residences in Jenner and Medicine Hat, Alberta.
Mr. Olson died February 14, 2002 at Medicine Hat, Alberta and was buried at Rainy Hill Cemetery in Iddesleigh, Alberta.