The Present Official Residence of the Lieutenant Governor of Alberta
As noted in the previous article regarding Alberta’s Government House, the provincial government acquired a new official residence for Alberta's Lieutenant Governors in 1966. This house was located in the Glenora district of Edmonton.
The property on which this house was located was three city lots wide and was originally part of a much larger property owned by developers Malcolm Groat from 1888 to 1905 and James Carruthers from 1905 to 1914. Horace Harvey, Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of Alberta, purchased the three lots for $13,560 in 1914. The property remained in the Harvey family until 1946.
After having the property cleared and fenced, Chief Justice Harvey had a tea house built at that location. Some mornings, he walked from his home at nearby 10226 Connaught Drive in order to work in a small garden that he had developed there. Gladioli were his specialty. On other occasions, he entertained guests at his tea house.
In 1946, Robert M. Montague, Managing Director of Kenn’s Service Garage Limited, purchased the property in the name of that firm for $16,000. On July 3, 1950, he was issued a building permit by the City of Edmonton to construct a large (approximately 3,600 square feet), western style, cedar bungalow at an estimated cost of $35,000. The architect was John Rule of Rule, Wynn, and Rule and the contractor was Bennett and White Limited, of Edmonton.
In 1952, Stanley H. McCuaig, Barrister and Solicitor, Leonard Lambert, Comptroller, of Edmonton, and the National Trust Company Limited purchased the property from the estate of Robert M. Montague for $70,000.
In 1960, Marie Weisler, wife of H. Weisler, Manager of Weisler's Limited (wholesale dry goods), took title of the property.
Finally, the property was sold to the Province of Alberta on October 11, 1966, for $95,000. It was the official residence for Lieutenant Governors J. W. Grant MacEwan (1966-1974), Ralph G. Steinhauer (1974-1979), Frank C. Lynch-Staunton (1979-1985), W. Helen Hunley (1985-1991), T. Gordon Towers (1991-1996) and Horace A. ‘Bud’ Olson (1996-2000). When Lieutenant Governor Lois E. Hole (2000-2005) assumed her duties, she chose not to reside in the official residence as she already owned a home in St. Albert. Thereafter the residence remained empty and subsequently the house was demolished in March 2004 upon being declared in very poor condition by Alberta Infrastructure. Another house, located down the street from the former official residence, was purchased for the use of Lieutenant Governor Norman L. Kwong (2005- ). Plans for the construction of a new official residence were not pursued.