Thomas Lukaszuk was elected to his fourth term as a Member of the Legislative Assembly of Alberta for the constituency of Edmonton-Castle Downs on April 23, 2012.
Mr. Lukaszuk was formerly Deputy Premier and Minister of Enterprise and Advanced Education.
Mr. Lukaszuk also served as Minister of Jobs, Skills, Training and Labour, Minister of Education, Political Minister for Edmonton, Minister of Employment and Immigration and parliamentary assistant for Municipal Affairs.
Over the course of his elected service Mr. Lukaszuk has served on a wide range of legislative and government committees. The areas of work have ranged from accountability, access to information and ethics in government to support for low-income and disabled Albertans, tourism marketing and human rights.
In particular, he has been a member of:
- Standing Committee on Law and Regulations
- Standing Committee on Privileges and Elections, Standing Orders and Printing
- Standing Committee on Private Bills
- Standing Committee on Legislative Offices
- Standing Committee on Community Services
- Select Special Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act Review Committee
- Select Special Chief Electoral Officer Search Committee
- Select Special Health Information Act Review Committee
- Select Special Ethics Commissioner Search Committee
- Select Special Auditor General Search Committee
- Special Standing Committee on Members’ Services
- Standing Policy Committee on Health and Community Living
- MLA Committee to Review Low-income Programs, chair
MLA Stakeholder Consultation Committee on Key Design Features; Low-income Review Implementation, chair
- MLA Assured Income for the Severely Handicapped (AISH) Review Committee, chair
- MLA Corrections Review Committee
- Select Special Conflicts of Interest Act Review Committee
- Provincial Offences Procedure Review Steering Committee, chair
- Strategic Tourism Marketing Council
- Alberta Foreign Offices Review Committee
- Human Rights, Citizenship and Multiculturalism Education Fund Advisory Committee, chair
- Northlands Park Board
- Task Force on the Teachers’ Unfunded Pension Liability
- Edmonton Salutes Committee
- Government of Alberta Liaison to Consular Corps
Born April 5, 1969, in Poland and raised in north Edmonton, Mr. Lukaszuk graduated with a bachelor’s degree in education from the University of Alberta and taught in Edmonton schools before starting Injured Workers Advocates Inc. (IWA), a firm designed to assist injured workers with work-related injury claims. Before becoming an MLA, he served on the Social Care Facilities Review Committee, the Citizens’ Appeal Panel (chair), and the Alberta Lotteries Review Committee. He conducted reviews of Alberta daycares, foster homes, group homes and homeless shelters.
Mr. Lukaszuk has a history of involvement with community groups. He coached soccer through the Edmonton Northwood Community League, has been a Scout leader and is a strong supporter of ABC Head Start. He is a past president of the Youth Friendship Society and a Knight of Columbus. He has been decorated with the Order of St. John investiture, the Queen's Diamond Jubilee Medal and the Queen's Golden Jubilee Medal for his community service and the Alberta Centennial Medal for his contributions to the province. He volunteers with the Edmonton Castle Downs Recreation Society, and has built playgrounds in Vietnam and the Philippines.
In his free time Mr. Lukaszuk enjoys travelling, reading and spending time with his young family.
May 28, 2014