Speaker of the Legislative Assembly of Alberta
On April 23, 2012, Gene Zwozdesky was elected to his sixth term as the MLA for Edmonton-Mill Creek. He was elected Speaker of the Legislative Assembly on May 23, 2012, and appointed chair of the Special Standing Committee on Members’ Services on May 24, 2012.
Mr. Zwozdesky sits on the executive of the Commonwealth Parliamentary Association as the Canada Regional Representative.
In addition to his role as MLA, Mr. Zwozdesky chaired the Standing Committee on Community Development.
He previously served as Minister of Alberta Health and Wellness, Minister of Aboriginal Relations, Minister of Education, and Minister of Community Development. He was also the Associate Minister of Health and Wellness (1999) and of Capital Planning (2007).
Mr. Zwozdesky was a member of the Standing Committee on Privileges and Elections, Standing Orders and Printing and the Cabinet Policy Committee on Community Development.
An adjunct professor at the University of Alberta, Mr. Zwozdesky has a bachelor of arts degree and a bachelor of education degree from the University of Alberta as well as accreditation courses in public administration.
Before becoming an MLA, Mr. Zwozdesky worked as a teacher, administrator, professional musician and business owner. He was also the Executive Director of the Alberta Cultural Heritage Foundation and of the Alberta Ukrainian Canadian Centennial Commission, as well as Music Director for the Shumka Dancers and Cheremosh Dancers.
Mr. Zwozdesky is actively involved in his community. He is President of the Alberta Friends of Golf Association and a member of: the Edmonton Chamber of Commerce, Northern Alberta Alliance on Race Relations, Order of St. Andrew, Rainbow Society of Alberta, St. John’s Fraternal Society, Big Miller Bandwagon Statue Project, and the Society of Composers, Authors and Music Publishers of Canada (SOCAN). He is also an Honourary Life-time Member of the Edmonton Musicians’ Association (Local 390), the Twin Parks Community League, and the Ukrainian Shumka Dancers. He is an Honorary Member of the Robert Burns World Federation, January 22, 2014.
Previously, Mr. Zwozdesky was an executive member of the Alberta Folk Arts Council, Alberta Recording Industry Association, Edmonton Canada Day Committee, Edmonton Heritage Festival Association and Capital City Savings (SERVUS) Ukrainian Community Council. He was the co-founder and producer of the Great Canadian Awards and Honorary Mayor of Kananaskis Country. He has served as a volunteer auctioneer for numerous organizations and has helped raise over $5 million for charitable causes.
Gene Zwozdesky has received many awards and recognitions, including:
- Queen’s Diamond Jubilee Medal, 2012
- Taras Shevchenko Medal, 2009
- Ami de la francophonie lors de Rond Point
- Alberta Association of Rehab Centres Trail Breaker Award
- Alberta Council for the Ukrainian Arts Award
- Alberta Motion Picture Industry Film Composer Award
- Alberta Recording Industries Association (ARIA) Award of Distinction
- Blauen-Funken Prinzengarde Honorary Knight Award
- CFCW Canadian Ukrainian Music Hall of Fame
- City of Edmonton Ambassador Award for Business and Tourism
- Congress of Black Women of Canada Merit Award
- Council of India Societies Merit Award
- Edmonton Folk Arts Council Heritage Development Award
- Edmonton Musicians Association Honorary Life Member Award
- Friends of Focus Award (for work with disability groups)
- Friends of Inner City Edmonton Appreciation Award
- Government of Canada Merit Award for Multiculturalism
- Lebanese Cultural Association (Lac La Biche) Honorary Member Award
- Pakistan Canada Association Community Service Award
- Province of Alberta Achievement Award for Culture
- Queens Golden Jubilee Medal
- Royal Canadian Legion Community Service Award
- Royal Canadian Norwood Legion Honorary Life Member Award
- Sikh Federation of Edmonton Outstanding Community Services Award
- Twin Parks Community League Honorary Life Member Award
- Ukrainian Canadian Social Services Certificate of Recognition
- Ukrainian Shumka Dancers Lifetime Member Award
- Vohon Ukrainian Dance Ensemble Recognition Award
- 2005 Alberta Centennial Medal
For the 2009 and 2010 Mardi Gras Season, Gene and his wife, Christine, were crowned "Prince and Princess" of the German Blauen-Funken Karneval.
January 24, 2014