George VanderBurg was elected to his fourth term as a Member of the Legislative Assembly for Whitecourt-Ste. Anne on April 23, 2012. He currently serves as the Government Whip, and as the deputy chair of the Special Standing Committee on Members Services. In addition, he also serves as a member of the Standing Committee on Privileges and Elections, Standing Orders and Printing.
Mr. VanderBurg is the former Associate Minister of Seniors (reporting to the Minister of Health) and he previously served as Minister of Seniors, Minister of Government Services, and Acting Minister of Innovation and Science.
Mr. VanderBurg has also served as a member of the following councils and committees:
- Standing Committee of Families and Communities
- Cabinet Policy Committee on Public Health & Safety
- Canadian Energy Research Institute
- Personal Information Protection Act Review Committee (deputy chair)
- Standing Committee on Legislative Offices Committee
- Standing Committee on Government Services
- Seniors Advisory Council for Alberta (chair)
- Standing Committee on Public Accounts (vice-chair)
- Advisory Council on Electricity
- Standing Committee on the Alberta Heritage Savings Trust Fund
- Standing Committee on Private Bills
- Standing Policy Committee on Agriculture and Municipal Affairs
- MLA Tourism Funding Review Committee
- School Construction and Operating Review Committee
- Roles and Responsibilities Committee, Municipal Affairs
- MLA Precious Minerals and Mines Strategy Committee
- Northlands Park Board (director)
- Transmission Advisory Commission (chair)
Prior to becoming the MLA for Whitecourt-Ste. Anne in 2001, Mr. VanderBurg served 15 years in municipal politics. He served as the mayor of Whitecourt for almost nine years and spent six as a town councillor.
Over the years Mr. VanderBurg was an active Rotarian, and he and his wife, Liz, were successful owners and operators of various businesses in northern Alberta. He was president of the Whitecourt Chamber of Commerce and was the recipient of the Chamber of Commerce president’s award. Mr. VanderBurg has also been named Whitecourt’s citizen of the year and been awarded the Alberta Chamber of Commerce small business of the year award.
Mr. VanderBurg and his wife have been married for 35 years, have two sons, Kris (Amanda) and Jake (Crystal) and live in Whitecourt.
May 8, 2014