Len Webber was elected to his third term as a Member of the Legislative Assembly of Alberta for the constituency of Calgary-Foothills on April 23, 2012. Mr. Webber is a member of the Standing Committee on Families and Communities.
In addition to previously serving as Alberta’s representative on the Pacific NorthWest Economic Region (PNWER), he was also a member of the Energy Council and, more recently, served on the MLA implementation team working on the review and implementation of the Retail Market Review Committee recommendations that will strengthen Alberta’s retail electricity market.
During his service as a Member, Mr. Webber has also served as Minister of Aboriginal Relations, Minister of International and Intergovernmental Relations, deputy government whip, parliamentary assistant for Energy and on the following boards and committees:
- Standing Committee of Resource Stewardship
- Standing Committee on Private Bills
- Select Special Chief Electoral Officer Search Committee
- Standing Committee on Resources and Environment
- Healthy Aging and Continuing Care in Alberta Implementation Advisory Committee, Chair
- Standing Committee on Energy
- MLA Task Force on Continuing Care Health Service and Accommodation Standards, Chair
- Standing Committee on Legislative Offices
- Alberta Affordable Housing Task Force, Chair
- Select Special Ethics Commissioner Search Committee
- Alberta-Alaska Bilateral Council
- Standing Committee on Public Accounts
- Standing Policy Committee on Education and Employment
- Advisory Committee on Climate Change, Chair
- Government MLA Review of the Private Investigators and Security Guards Act, Chair
- Calgary Exhibition & Stampede Board of Directors
- WorldSkills Calgary 2009 Board of Directors
- Select Special Personal Information Protection Act Review Committee
- Treasury Board
Mr. Webber’s most recent initiative was the introduction of private member’s Bill 207, Human Tissue and Organ Donation Amendment Act, 2013. Bill 207 received royal assent on November 7, 2013.
Before becoming an MLA, Mr. Webber was the vice-president and director of Webber Academy, a nonprofit university preparatory private school in Calgary. The academy provides an advanced and challenging curriculum to about 950 above-average and academically gifted students from junior kindergarten to Grade 12.
Len Webber was born in Calgary, raised in the northwest community of Brentwood, and is the son of former Calgary MLA and cabinet minister Dr. Neil Webber. He received his bachelor of commerce degree from the University of Calgary and his journeyman communications electrician certificate from SAIT. He worked as an apprentice electrician out of high school and ran his own contracting business for 10 years before starting with Webber Academy.
Mr. Webber has a history of involvement and volunteerism with community groups, including Hospice Calgary, the Calgary Foundation, the MS Society and as a board member of the Alberta Alcohol and Drug Abuse Commission (AADAC). He is a loyal volunteer in many fundraising events promoting breast cancer awareness, research, and development and is a proud recipient of the Alberta centennial medal for his contributions to the province of Alberta.
Mr. Webber and his late wife, Heather, have three daughters: Lauren, Jaime and Kelly.
May 8, 2014