Minister of Service Alberta
Doug Griffiths was first elected as a Member of the Legislative Assembly of Alberta at the age of 29 for the constituency of Wainwright in a by-election on April 8, 2002. He was re-elected to the Legislature to represent the constituency of Battle River-Wainwright on November 22, 2004, March 3, 2008, and for a fourth term on April 23, 2012.
On December 13, 2013, Mr. Griffiths was sworn-in as Minister of Service Alberta. He previously served as Minister of Municipal Affairs.
Previous appointments include serving as parliamentary assistant for the Department of Finance and Enterprise and as parliamentary assistant to the Minister of Agriculture and Rural Development. He also served on the following committees:
- Standing Committee on Public Safety and Services
- Standing Committee on Health
- Public Accounts
- Standing Committee on the Economy
- Alberta Grain Commission (vice-chair)
- Private Members Business House Strategy Committee (chair)
- Standing Policy Committee on Energy and Sustainable Development (chair)
- Rural Development Strategies Task Force (chair)
- Agenda and Priorities Committee
- Standing Policy Committee on Economic Development and Finance
- Standing Policy Committee on Agriculture and Municipal Affairs
- Learning Alberta Steering Committee
- Health Services Utilization and Outcomes Commission (now called the Health Quality Council)
- MLA Committee on Strengthening Alberta’s Role in Confederation
- Standing Committee on Public Accounts (deputy chair)
- Standing Committee on Resources and Environment
Before becoming a Member of the Legislative Assembly, Mr. Griffiths received an honours degree in philosophy and a degree in education, both from the University of Alberta. During the three years prior to his election he taught at Byemoor School, where he was nominated every year for an award in teaching, once for the Edwin Parr Award and twice for the Pan Canadian Student Choice Award.
Mr. Griffiths and his wife, Sue, have two boys, Austin (born December 2005) and Brady (born August 2008).
December 17, 2013