The Select Special Committee to Examine Safe Supply was established by the Legislative Assembly through the passage of Government Motion 115 on December 7, 2021. The committee must report to the Legislative Assembly with recommendations by April 30, 2022.
The committee’s mandate is limited to consideration of:
- examining the concept of “safe supply,” defined as the provision of pharmaceutical opioids, heroin, crystal methamphetamine, cocaine, or other substances to people who are addicted to or dependent on these substances;
- whether there is evidence that a proposed “safe supply” would have an impact on fatal or non-fatal overdose, drug diversion, or associated health and community impacts;
- whether there is evidence that a proposed “safe supply” would be accompanied by increased risks to individuals, the community, other entities or jurisdictions
- examining historical evidence regarding the over-prescribing of opioids; and
- whether there is evidence that a proposed “safe supply” would be accompanied by any other benefits or consequences.