Chris Nielsen was elected to the Legislative Assembly of Alberta, representing the constituency of Edmonton-Decore, on May 5, 2015 and again on April 16, 2019.
He currently serves as a member of the Standing Committees on Resource Stewardship and Private Bills.
He previously served as deputy chair of the Standing Committee on the Alberta Heritage Savings Trust Fund and as a member of the following committees:
- Select Special Committee on Real Property Rights
- Standing Committee on the Alberta Heritage Savings Trust Fund
- Standing Committee on Public Accounts
- Standing Committee on Privileges and Elections, Standing Orders and Printing
- Special Standing Committee on Members’ Services
- Select Special Ethics and Accountability Committee
Before his election to the Legislative Assembly, Mr. Nielsen worked as a shipper/receiver for 26 years, beginning in 1990. During his extensive career he represented his colleagues as shop steward for 15 years and filled various committee positions within local 401 of the United Food and Commercial Workers International Union.
Mr. Nielsen's community work also includes volunteering with the Children's Heart Society in a variety of capacities, including as secretary and as director.
He studied engineering design at NAIT from 1986 to 88.
Born in Winnipeg, Manitoba, he and his family have called Edmonton home since 1982.
Mr. Nielsen was the 865th Member to be sworn in to the Legislative Assembly of Alberta.
November 30, 2022