The Select Special Committee on Real Property Rights was established by the Legislative Assembly through the passage of Government Motion 69 on March 22, 2021. The committee must report to the Legislative Assembly with recommendations by December
The committee’s mandate is limited to consideration of:
- whether the legal remedies available to a real property owner who is deprived of the use of their real property are adequate;
- whether the real property rights should be expanded, or in the case of an individual, constitutionally protected;
- whether the law of adverse possession should be abolished;
- whether the expropriation processes provided under the Expropriation Act are adequate;
- any other matter that the committee decides is necessary to ensure the completeness of its review.
The Legislative Assembly referred Bill 206, Property Rights Statutes Amendment Act, 2020, to the committee for review on April 12, 2021, in accordance with Standing Order 78.1.
The committee may review, as part of its mandate, any part of the following statutes:
Alberta Bill of Rights; Alberta Land Stewardship Act; Expropriation Act; Land Titles Act; Law of Property Act; Limitations Act; Responsible Energy Development Act; and a review of any
other Act that the committee determines is necessary to ensure the completeness of its review.